Software Engineer Intern (Remote)
Atlanta, GA, USA Remote
Storj is pioneering decentralized cloud storage with the world's first decentralized cloud storage network. We make object storage secure, private, and more resilient than other leading cloud storage providers. Our mission is to enable the decentralized future, and our vision is to be the storage layer for the decentralized internet. To do this, we need talented individuals who are equipped to succeed. With that in mind, we are excited to launch our 2021 Internship Program. The program will be 12 weeks long, starting in May 2021, and will place interns on teams to work with experienced engineers. This is a part-time role at 25 hours per week paid at a rate of $43 an hour.
Though originally founded and headquartered in Atlanta, Storj is a remote-first company with team members worldwide. We’ve built a culture based on transparency, inclusion, and open communication, and we ensure that our team is equipped to succeed. Our people are our most important asset, and we strive to provide them with meaningful professional engagement. Storj promotes empowerment and progress through company-wide and personal training opportunities, proactive diversity efforts, and peer mentorship.
In this vein of ownership and personal growth, you’ll have the opportunity to choose the team you’ll work with during your internship. Here are some of the teams who would love to work with you:
- Growth Engineering -- The Growth Engineering team focuses on improving the onboarding flow and experience of those interacting with the Storj network to store and download files. This includes components such as the website (Webflow), the Satellite web app (Go, VueJS, TypeScript, GraphQL), and the website's reverse proxy (Go, Caddy). This team will be ideal for people interested in front and backend development, as well as user research.
- Infrastructure -- The Infrastructure team manages, monitors, and scales a complex and performant distributed system, spanning both on-premise and cloud-hosted infrastructure. We move fast, and we’re always disaster planning for when things will inevitably fail (re: multi-region, fault tolerance, high availability, etc.)
In addition to the work on your chosen team, you’ll have ample opportunities and resources to broaden your understanding of potential career paths, how teams work cross-functionally, the infrastructure and inner-operations of a growing company, and more, including:
- Executive Lunch ‘N Learns
- Cross-functional job shadowing
- Intern presentations during bi-weekly all-company updates
- Participation in the Storj Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council
- Reading code and design docs
- Taking assigned tickets and working to solve problems involving:
- Writing code or tests
- Designing systems
- Performing operations
- Reviewing code from your team, providing feedback and suggestions
- Attending weekly meetings with your team of engineers
- Reporting on your progress to your team lead and others
- We will consider anyone from the following groups: students currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science, recent graduates of coding boot camps, people seeking to reenter the workforce following a sabbatical from work
- Knowledge of computer science with experience building meaningful software applications in a class, as a personal hobby, as a job, or as part of an open source project
- Experience in one or more programming languages or markup languages OR experience in one or more of the following tools/platforms: Kubernetes, Systemd, Docker, etc.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion:
At Storj Labs, we celebrate diversity and strive for an inclusive work culture. More than a statement on our careers page, these concepts are ingrained in our core values:
Secure - We believe security and privacy in product, process, and habit is key to everything we do.
Together - We inspire, execute, and celebrate as one team, with a commitment to trust, inclusion, collaboration, and accountability.
Open - We’re committed to the free and open sharing of software, information, knowledge, and ideas.
Resolute - We have the courage to do the right thing, even if it is not the easy thing. We resolve always to treat others ethically, with empathy, understanding, and trust.
Empowered - We empower our users to control their data, our teammates to do great work, and our community to build economic value.
Different - We think differently, act differently, and always strive to make a difference.
We don’t make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance and similar local laws.
Your application has been successfully submitted.