Director, Advanced Cryptography - Visa Research
This job is no longer accepting applications.
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Visa Research conducts applied and fundamental research, and was created to lead the company in pushing the boundaries of payment related technologies on a global scale. We engage with the company’s numerous technology and product teams, world-wide business partners, academics, and governments, to explore and develop technologies that will shape the future of the payments industry and impact the lives of billions of people.
Job Description and Responsibilities
We are currently focused on building world-class research teams in three key areas: Security, Data Analytics, and Future of Payment, and we are looking for a research leader for the Advanced Cryptography Research team.
Working on Cryptography research at Visa is a unique opportunity at a time when the payments industry is undergoing a digital transformation, and with security technologies as the critical enabler for a growing number of emerging payment models and usage scenarios. We offer you the opportunity to be at the center of innovation in the payments industry and set the cryptography direction for Visa and the future payment ecosystem.
As a People Manager within the Cryptography Research team, you will lead the team to conduct world-class security research and contribute to our medium-term research agenda for digital payments, as well as deliver innovative technologies and insights to Visa's strategic products and business. As an integral team member of the extended Research team, you will work on research and development activities with fellow researchers, and work closely with product and technology teams to ensure the successful creation and application of disruptive and innovative security technologies.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to make key contributions to Visa's strategic vision as the world-leading digital payments company. The successful candidate must have an outstanding academic track record in fundamental and applied research with participation in developing innovations, and demonstrable capability to lead projects and people. The candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, and excellent collaboration and people-management skills.
- Manage the research of various groups within the Advanced Cryptography team, including groups working on secure multiparty computation, post-quantum cryptography, and zero-knowledge proofs.
- Drive the research and development of cutting-edge cryptographic technologies across a large spectrum of applications concerned with secure payments, and data protection, where handling complex and sometimes underspecified problem domains is a requirement.
- Build an engaged team that delivers high-impact intellectual property value through research publications and patents.
- Maintain a strong collaborative environment for team members to deliver innovative technologies, insights and products to Visa business units to resolve their significant product pain-points and create new growth opportunities.
- Establish external collaborations with our partners in academia, industry and government on key initiatives to advance our security research agenda, on both short-term (1-2 years) and long-term basis.
- Partner cross-functionally with other teams from Technology, Product, Operations, Market Research, etc.
- Communicate goals, progress, and results of the team to Research, Technology, and Product executive leadership, partners, and peers.
- Foster in-depth and productive relationships at all levels with team members and clients internally and externally.
- PhD degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or equivalent field with a focus on cryptography.
- Expertise in one or more cryptographic research areas: e.g. design and analysis of cryptographic algorithms and protocols, post-quantum cryptography (design and cryptanalysis), secure multi-party computation, searchable encryption, and/or their application to data protection and privacy, authentication, payments and cryptocurrencies.
- Strong track record in research publications and impact in the research community.
- Exceptional leadership skills demonstrated through outcomes from past projects and teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think outside the box and innovate.
- Demonstrated research project/program management experience is a plus.
- Experience in payments or related industry is a plus.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment ne...