Director, Institutional Controller
New York, NY, USA
What is BlockFi?
BlockFi’s mission is to provide liquidity, transparency and efficiency to digital financial markets by creating products that meet the needs of consumers and corporations across the globe. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all participants.
We’re a team of builders and strivers, proud to champion financial inclusivity and offer economic opportunities around the globe. We provide the same inclusivity to our team members. BlockFi is a place where diversity is celebrated, individuality is recognized, and every single team member is valued. We are changing the status quo to be the first financial company that people love, and we rely on our people to make it happen!
BlockFi is looking for an Institutional Controller to join our growing team!
About Your Team
This position provides a rare and unique opportunity to be an early hire at a rapidly growing business operating in a nascent industry. The role is highly visible within the organization and provides many opportunities for growth and development. A successful candidate who joins our team will scale with our company and take on larger responsibilities over time.
- Ownership of the accounting and financial records of the institutional and asset management businesses at BlockFi
- Design, build, and implement sustainable monthly reporting processes and systems in coordination with internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively work with the front office, operations, finance, and other departments to understand and account for transactions accurately and inline with GAAP and other regulatory requirements
- Streamline reporting structures to meet regulatory and counterparty reporting requirements in the US and abroad
- Lead the interactions with 3rd parties by preparing financial schedules, regulatory submissions, statements, and proactively managing requests
- Manage the daily, weekly, and monthly reporting process and ensure timely deliverables
- Develop the foundation for a world class external reporting organization by identifying and implementing process and controls to satisfy requirements and enhance the overall control structure of the organization
- Manage and grow an existing team of individuals covering product control, fund accounting and corporate investment accounting
- Anticipate needs, identify, hire, and develop a world class team suited to handle future growth initiatives
- Support the Chief Accounting Officer on ad hoc projects
- Exudes high energy and enthusiasm for developing themselves and growing their responsibilities
- Is interested technology and cryptocurrencies or is willing to learn about them
- Holds a CPA or equivalent certification
- Has 15+ years of accounting/controllership experience within financial services; broker-dealer, Fin-tech, cryptocurrency, or lending experience appreciated
- Experience with SEC and other regulatory filings
- Experience hiring, managing and scaling up teams and processes
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and an ability to work independently to figure out solutions to time sensitive issues
- Has hands-on experience with ERP systems and system implementations
- Is proficient with Microsoft Excel and can find ways to speed up or automate manual processes
- Is a team player and is highly responsive internal and external requests
We benefit from the great work our employees do each day. That is why we are committed to providing a variety of awesome benefits to help them live their best lives.
- Competitive salary because we value your experience and expertise
- Unlimited vacation / sick days because everyone deserves time for R&R
- Employer contribution towards health coverage (including vision & dental) because your physical health and well-being is important to us
- Various fringe benefits such as 401k, Parental Leave, FSA/HSA, and Employee Assistance Programs because health coverage is more than just choosing your yearly plan
- Flexible work environment because we are a geographically dispersed team and we believe in balance
- Pet insurance because all of your beloved family members should have coverage too
- Weekly lunch stipend because there is such a thing as a free lunch!
- A close-knit team of enthusiastic, collegial and driven people to work alongside in a highly meritocratic environment because teamwork makes the dreamwork
BlockFi has experienced incredible growth since our launch in August 2017. Our client base has grown to more than 225,000 (and counting), and the company now boasts more than $15 billion in assets on our platform. We recently completed a Series D funding round placing the company's valuation at $3 billion, and our team now has more than 500 people worldwide. We have established ourselves as a crypto market leader, and as we expand our product suite and geographic footprint, we expect our addressable market to grow exponentially.
BlockFi's leadership team has decades of experience in the traditional financial services and banking world, and we take a conservative approach to regulation that will position us well for sustainable long-term growth and expansion.
Our team is comprised of highly motivated professionals from diverse backgrounds. We are aiming to become the leading lender in crypto and are poised to redefine the global financial ecosystem for the better. In addition:
- BlockFi is one of the first companies to ever offer crypto-backed loans and the only company whose founding team has an institutional understanding of the debt capital markets and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- $100 MM of Series A, B, and C funding led by Valar Ventures with participation from Susquehanna, Winklevoss Capital, Fidelity, Galaxy Digital, Akuna Capital, and Morgan Creek
- $350 MM of Series D funding led by Bain Capital Ventures, partners of DST Global, Pomp Investments and Tiger Global
- We are moving quickly and have already deployed substantial capital into the space, proving our ability to execute and capture customer demand
Your application has been successfully submitted.