Full Stack Software Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
It’s not very often that a new asset class is born. Nevertheless, we’re witnessing exactly that with the rise of crypto taking place right now, as we speak, in the age of the internet. Over just the last 4 years, crypto has evolved from an embryonic $50B market, to a young but growing $1T today. At Bitwise, we believe that crypto has reached a turning point, and is headed north of $10T over the next few years. Along the way, we expect there to continue to be risks, and pitfalls, and uncertainty — much like the rise of the Web, and cloud, and apps before — but also great opportunity, and millions of people increasingly wanting to participate.
Our goal at Bitwise, is to help busy, mainstream investors understand and access the opportunities emerging in the new cryptocurrency asset class. We want all those who so desire to be able to come along for the ride, and be able to benefit from the role crypto exposures can play in pursuing their investment objectives.
Today, Bitwise is at an exciting moment as a firm. We manage over $1B, growing quickly, with the largest crypto index fund in the world (ticker: BITW) and a lot more coming. We focus on serving investment professionals—financial advisors, family offices, hedge funds, endowments, foundations, and others—the people entrusted to look after the capital and savings of individuals and institutions across the country. We provide education, partnership, and professionally-managed investment products tailored to this group’s needs, to help them build their view, pick their strategy, & get their exposure.
Currently, Bitwise is a close knit team of 13. Our backgrounds combine technology expertise with decades of experience in asset management and indexing — coming from firms including Facebook, Google, Wealthfront, BlackRock, J.P. Morgan, IndexIQ, and ETF.com. We’re backed by some of the most accomplished investors in venture, and veterans of the financial services world. We love working together, we love what we do, and we’re excited about what’s ahead.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual to join the team to help Bitwise scale and our clients succeed. As Bitwise’s next software engineer, you'll be able to have a major impact from day one, within our small, yet quickly growing business. The products and systems you build will touch all parts of the organization — from investor relations, to trading, to research and more. You'll have the opportunity to understand our business deeply by directly engaging with all of its components, which is rare. You’ll get to use new tools, frameworks, and languages, and can introduce others along the way. You need not worry about bureaucracy at Bitwise — there’s no endless meetings or politics; we pride ourselves on moving fast and being nimble. We’re a tight knit, multi-disciplinary team and you’ll be on the ground floor of what we’re building.
What You Will Do
- You’ll build products from the ground up — from data infrastructure to backend APIs to UIs. You will be able manage your own work by deciding what needs to be built, communicating with stakeholders directly, and managing your own time. You will be given the autonomy to get work done efficiently without unnecessary bureaucracy.
- As a member of a small team, you will contribute meaningfully to building our engineering organization. This includes playing an important role in making technical decisions, defining Bitwise’s engineering standards, and determining best practices. We are not set in our ways and are always willing to explore new technologies and tools.
- You will have the opportunity to experience rapid growth and work on the highest impact initiatives within the company. In the process, you will shape product and engineering strategy at the company.
- You will wear many hats, contribute to many projects, and adapt to the needs of a growing organization.
Who You Are
- Our sites and web severs are built with React and Node. Index calculation related backend is written in Scala using Spark and Kinesis. Research related analytical scripts are written in Python. Databases used are Firebase, MongoDB, and Postgres. Most of our infrastructure runs on Heroku and AWS. You are comfortable working across the stack, have experience in at least a few of these, and are enthusiastic to learn those you’re less familiar with.
- You’re an analytical thinker. You love detail, but also don’t let preparation get in the way of action.
- You are a great communicator, in writing and conversation, and can convey details with clarity and coherence.
- You care about relationships, with the team and with external partners on occasion. You want to understand others, to help others understand you, to enjoy interactions, to form career-long partnerships, and to be “best-in-class.”
- Your style is like ours: high energy, positive, caring, deliberate, self-aware, curious and open minded, inclined to take ownership to get the best outcome but happy to transfer or share ownership with others. You’re proactive in pursuing what you want, you take pride in your ability to communicate and connect with others, and you’re always looking to improve.
- You have 3+ years of experience in software development, ideally at a fintech, asset management, financial data, or financial services firm.
- Though not needing to be an expert, you’re interested in crypto and investments, and enthusiastic about making it part of your career.
- You have willingness and enthusiasm to learn new topics and be dynamic in a rapidly evolving company and space. And you’re excited to go all in on crypto.
- The idea of being early on a small team where things change rapidly and everyone pitches in excites you.
If what we’re doing excites you, and the role looks like a fit, we’d love to hear from you and explore you joining as an early member of the Bitwise team —
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Bitwise Asset Management is a trusted partner to individuals, financial advisors, family offices, investment managers & institutions navigating crypto...