Business Development Officer, West Territory
This job is no longer accepting applications.
It’s not very often that a new asset class is born. Nevertheless, we’re witnessing exactly that with the rise of crypto taking place right now, as we speak, in the age of the internet. Over just the last 4 years, crypto has evolved from an embryonic $50B market, to a young but growing $1T today. At Bitwise, we believe that crypto has reached a turning point, and is headed north of $10T over the next few years. Along the way, we expect there to continue to be risks, and pitfalls, and uncertainty — much like the rise of the Web, and cloud, and apps before — but also great opportunity, and millions of people increasingly wanting to participate.
Our goal at Bitwise, is to help busy, mainstream investors understand and access the opportunities emerging in the new cryptocurrency asset class. We want all those who so desire to be able to come along for the ride, and be able to benefit from the role crypto exposures can play in pursuing their investment objectives.
Today, Bitwise is at an exciting moment as a firm. We manage over $1B, growing quickly, with the largest crypto index fund in the world (ticker: BITW) and a lot more coming. We focus on serving investment professionals—financial advisors, family offices, hedge funds, endowments, foundations, and others—the people entrusted to look after the capital and savings of individuals and institutions across the country. We provide education, partnership, and professionally-managed investment products tailored to this group’s needs, to help them build their view, pick their strategy, & get their exposure.
Currently, Bitwise is a close knit team of 13. Our backgrounds combine technology expertise with decades of experience in asset management and indexing — coming from firms including Facebook, Wealthfront, BlackRock, J.P. Morgan, IndexIQ, and ETF.com. We’re backed by some of the most accomplished investors in venture, and veterans of the financial services world. We love working together, we love what we do, and we’re excited about what’s ahead.
We’re looking for an exceptional individual to join the team and take on critical responsibilities to help Bitwise scale and our clients succeed. Reporting to the Head of Sales, the Business Development Officer for the West Territory will own our relationships and success in this important territory. You'll be primarily focused on RIAs and advisors, both taking on existing relationships and driving build out of your pipeline. You'll leverage colleagues across the organization—from sales peers, to research, to onboarding, to portfolio management—to deliver on being the best partner in crypto. There will be a lot to learn, huge success to be had, and some life-long relationships to be built along the way.
What You Will Do
- You’ll take ownership for the “West” territory: Southern CA (south of San Jose), AZ, NV, UT, HI. Both managing existing relationships, closing existing opportunities, and building out the pipeline of new opportunities. You will own delivering success.
- You will be responsible for identifying and managing the best opportunities in the territory. The current focus has been RIAs but you will evaluate all opportunities within RIA, B/D and IBD to identify the best relationships for the territory and firm.
- You’ll deliver successful activity numbers to uncover and develop and close opportunities. These numbers will consist of email campaigns, phone calls, virtual meetings, presentations, and in-person meetings (when allowable).
- You’ll deliver industry best client segmentation and apply appropriate corresponding sales cycle to become the trusted partner on crypto to the best firms and opportunities in the territory. You’ll effectively leverage Bitwise research and personnel—including CIO, CEO, and analysts—to do so.
- You’ll communicate the Bitwise story and how our solutions can be used.
- You’ll develop highly productive relationships internally Bitiwse, including Investor Relations, Portfolio Management, the CIO, and Research teams.
- You’ll serve as a member of the broader sales team, communicate your goals and learnings and ideas from the West, and collaborate effectively to leverage others on the team.
- You’ll deliver on all administrative and compliance tasks in a thorough and timely manner.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- You have 3+ years of experience in financial services sales roles, ideally in private and/or public funds.
- You’re knowledgeable about the investment management and ETF/mutual fund industries. You don’t need to be an expert on crypto, but are excited to jump in and become a knowledgeable resource.
- You’ve run a sales process before, and know how to do it well. You can speak to segmentation, prospecting, profiling, developing, and closing a pipeline of relationships. You’re able to establish a well thought out business plan for the territory that highlights goals, plan, and details for success.
- You have excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, in-person or over video conferencing and phone.
- You're comfortable with software, and proficient with Excel/Google Sheets, CRMs (we use Salesforce), prospecting tools (e.g. Discovery Database), and PowerPoint/Keynote. You’re ok using a Mac and in general are not intimidated about learning new tools.
- You have exceptional time management, organizational, and self-motivation abilities. Your work ethic is a source of pride. You know how to prioritize and recognize when a relationship isn’t going to lead to opportunity.
- You care about relationships, forming long-term partnerships, and being “best-in-class.”
- You have willingness and enthusiasm to learn new topics and be flexible in a young, rapidly evolving company and space. You’re happy to get your hands dirty and be in an environment where certain tools and resources my not yet be in place.
- Your style is like ours: high energy, positive, caring, deliberate, self-aware, curious and open minded. You’re proactive in pursuing what you want, you take pride in your ability to communicate and connect with others, and you’re always looking to improve.
- You want to win, you want your teammates to win, and you want clients to win.
If what we’re doing excites you, and the role looks like a fit, we’d love to hear from you and explore you joining as an early member of the Bitwise team —
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Bitwise Asset Management is a trusted partner to individuals, financial advisors, family offices, investment managers & institutions navigating crypto...